Sustainable housing Wormley
The Borough of Broxbourne wanted to find a development partner to replace a derelict garage block with a small-scale housing scheme of exemplary environmental design quality which achieved Code for Sustainable Homes level 5.
Our proposal was for a terrace of three residential town houses, each containing ground floor cooking/ eating/ living space, three bedrooms, work space and a growing space.
How we achieved Code level 5:
- Using the Passivhaus standard to reduce energy consumption and CO2 emissions.
- Carefully designed layouts to meet the Lifetime Homes Standard.
- Using energy and water-efficient technologies.
- Reduce, re-use, recycle.
- Increasing biodiversity with good landscaping.
- Using renewable and sustainably sourced materials.
We proposed using local trades people and contractors as much as possible, and allowing students from the nearby Hertford Regional College the opportunity to learn and practice green building techniques under our guidance.